Friendships are built on belief. Belief on one another. This is where possesiveness plays a role in developing friendships. But, crossing the limit of possesiveness in friendships can be devastating. I would say with some definite conviction that I wouldn't be a good friend to someone if I'm not posessive, but at the same time, I would not be a good friend if I were overpossesive also.
Friendships vary in different levels of closeness and hence different levels of possesiveness.
Firstly are those friends who are of the hi-bye type, those you don't share any kind of special cameraderie with. Here, possesiveness hardly exists.
Next are those of the kind who I know pretty well, are good friends, but nothing more than that. They are nothing special to me. Here, I do have some kind of possesiveness, but at the same time, I can give you loads of space. You don't want to share stuff, then I don't pain you one bit to get it out of you.
The third are the type of friends who are extremely close to you, who make your life happen, who share almost everything about themselves with you, and expect the same in return. They are the people you call your best friends. Here, in my case, I exert slightly more possesiveness. I expect you to be open and frank with me about anything and everything while I also give you your space.
The fourth are the soulmates. Mates who you consider another part of yourself. People without whom life is probably unthinkable for you. Here also, the possesiveness comes in, in a big way. The possesive character here increases hugely to let no huge secrets between the two of you. Shre once told me that he was hugely possesive about me. But there is the unsaid rule between the two of us that there are stuff which we are liable to keep to ourselves only and we keep the dignity. That makes a friendship work.
So, however close a friendship might be, some space must be given to one another. Ultra possesiveness just destroys friendships. After all some stuff are so bad that you don't want to even share them with your friends, aren't they? :P
And why am I blogging all this now? Ask 'select' IITM junta, and you will know why.. :P Its been tough dealing with this for more than three weeks.. :P
4 comments:
Haha, love this post.
quite right but wherein can the line be drawn?anyways i slightly disagree
You might as well rename this blog as 'My Friends and My Relationships' :P . All await the grand release of operationparrot.blogspot.com
@Baby: NTF, your in the third category.. :P
Post a Comment