This is a post I've been wanting to write for quite a while now, considering the amount of elec department bashing which has been going on in insti! Well, my first brush with the "terror" the elec department exudes came in my very first meeting with an elec senior. As an enthusiastic quizzing freshie, I was sent to have a look at how the Jam hostel's freshie quiz went, and as freshies we weren't allowed into the internal affairs of other hostels. So, I had to be "smuggled" into the hostel, and so I was, through Samaadhi, and JoJo, fellow quizzers/elec seniors. I still remember the first words Samaadhi spoke to me, "Macha, why did you take elec da, Painful it is!"
As in everyone else's life, in mine too, college life has had its share of ups and downs, but never have I felt disturbed to have chosen Elec! Like every other department, elec has its share of pains too. Those moments, when a quiz beckons, assignments galore to submit, and precisely the time when you need a break! The difficult times are there, but they go a long way in making life in elec memorable too!
Of the many things I like about elec, one thing that stands out and can be understood easily is that elec has the right mix of stress and peace. In the sense that, we have the best of both worlds. We hardly have any courses which treat us like a cram machine. We got a lot of thinking to do. But these superbly paced courses, don't treat us like assimilation machines either. We don't have assignments to submit every other evening. There is no triviality involved in what we do, but at the same time, the non-triviality isn't be drilled into us either.
Also, the placement of the courses, is another masterclass. Except for probably semester 4, during which also I had a great deal of fun, I hardly found myself pressed for time due to department academics. Especially after getting a taste of the CS and Physics departments, I've started holding my department in more esteem, not that the other two are lacking in anything, just that I feel my department has its set of benefits tagged along with it.
Well, for those who still aren't convinced that Elec junta make it big, and are way too cool, let's play to the gallery, we currently hold some of the best musicians in the insti level, which includes Glucon, Chandrasekhar, Vidya, etc, percussionists in Jayadev, amateurs in KK, Mallika, cricketers in Hawa, Vikranth, last year's insti cricket captain was Vignesh Shenoy, an elec- wait-for-it -9 pointer, Vasuki was part of the insti choreo team, "the quizzer" who stunned many with some freshie kickass studness, Jayadev, is elec. Our department seniors under Misra, came up with a batch handbook of the 2006 batch, a terrific attempt called "Electric Bond". Our department has cool profs, who play football, and almost always beat the team of students which has won the elec footer tournament. Also, we have profs who are a regular fixture in quadrangle sports of certain hostels.
Apart from all this, we have the only department night, where profs and students bond together for a change! Well, where else would you see a professor having an outside classroom student audience for his performance! We have also started off with a couple of traditions this year, one of a department Day-Out, which we plan to vigorously organize in the semesters to come also!
Above all, we have the insti's most famous, most thronged, and absolutely brilliant Tea-Shop, which deals in tea, coffee, Boost, butter biscuits, Hide & Seek, Good Day, Bourbon, Bong profs bonding, Chem profs laughing to glory, and various other hilarious stuff! We hang out in between classes, chit-chat to glory, and not rush for assignment submissions or evaluations in every single 5 minute time window we get!
Well, Samaadhi's words of "painfulness", might have come and gone, but we were way too busy and cool to notice that! I'm pretty sure he must have changed the opinion about elec he held over the last three years too! To cut a long story short, WE ROCK!!
This post is a dedication to Shaileshh, Vasuki, Prasad, Guruji, Sudha, KK, CJ, RK, Jana, Prabhu, Hari, Ashok, Shyam Krish, Mallika, Numaan, NPS, MRB, Shyam KJ, Bhargava, Kabra, DSP, T.Srinivas, Glucy, Ryali, Varsha, Pai, and my million other Elec buddies, all of you without whom this post would be meaningless and memories would be far less memorable! :)
16 comments:
yaay !!
\m/
naaice \m/
Two years back, I had raised a slogan, "Elec can be fun too, mind it!" Today, probably I can say, "Elec is fun, mind it!" Absolute pleasure and privilege it has been to be a part of this department! :)
[A similar article that I had written a couple of years ago is here]
Good one btw who are the "million" others ???
@Misra: Elec is fun! :)
@Prasad: Million others include all those people who contribute in small ways, those who are not very great friends but with whom there are memories kept in, here and there! :)
yieyy !! nice one da !!
Thanks machi! :)
very sweet...!!! kinda feeling nostalgic... :(
There is no need to feel nostalgic! There are 2 full years in elec ahead of us! :)
As long you choose the right courses with a sane mind, Elec is fun and peaceful !
What right courses, sane mind! It's fun irrespective of all that! For instance, your batch guys were cribbing about some mandatory courses, adhukku ellam what choice can you make. You just take them! And yeah, we still feel Analog circuit was not as painful as you guys made it out to be!
@arun : Seriously what right courses and what sane mind. ?? You chose all your courses in the Physics Dept, didnt you? Aparum enna elec is peaceful ??
:D
I still consider Elec painful, but given a chance to choose a branch, I will be choosing Elec again. :D
At the least in Elec, you do not get a feeling that in 4 years, you have learnt nothing..A feeling which I am told is quite prominent in Meta and Chem junta :D
@Chappli
For us Analog Circuits was painful. We bloody had 7 quizzes. That also explains why only 2 people in our entire batch is interested in Analog Circuits.
Samaadhi, lol max at the Chem and Meta point! :D
Post a Comment