Monday, June 11, 2012

A wise JEE maketh a good IITian

It's been just four years since I wrote JEE, but one thing I've realized hence, that it is the examination that is going to define me for the rest of my life. It is (was) arguably the world's most competitive exam in terms of candidates-to-seats ratio, and for a large part of its existence, the toughest undergrad entrance examination that was. As I've mentioned in my previous blog post, my JEE preparation was one predetermined, and well planned procedure. It was a 4 year long process, the first 2 years involving me sleeping through physics and chemistry classes, and strengthening the foundation I had in mathematics. Also, generally preparation is not the least bit serious for someone in class 9 or 10. What followed was two years, that built character in mine, and possibly every other IITian's life.

The initial part of my JEE studying was marred by certain controversial decisions to join a relatively new coaching center, instead of already existing reputed ones. Since I had acquired a decent reputation for maths in the city, and my switch only meant confusion those who were genuinely confused already, it was tamasha all around. Well, joining SMART only enhanced my chances, and that is one decision I'm glad I made. The preparation for JEE in class 11, though was more serious than that in class 9 and 10, we still had not grasped the gravity of the situation. Time was spent on other activities as well, like watching cricket, and chattering about to glory. The sincerity in us was clearly lacking. When the whole world was trying hard to get concepts into their head, solving question papers, the scenario in Chennai was less urgent. Maybe that's the way it has been always.

Early in class 12, we wrote this exam called FTSE. An All-India level exam, it was a shocking reality check.
This was when, we understood that we had to pull our socks up. The transformation came about almost immediately. What followed, was the phase that made the all of us. People began to slog their asses off. Problem solving happened day-in and day-out. Under benches in school (where people otherwise went in class 12 only to learn Computer Science, and have some little fun for the otherwise tasking day), in buses while traveling, while talking to friends on the phone, while going out to culturals, problem solving was what happened all the time. I must say, it was a period that brought all of us together as well, as we were undergoing something common, and the impact of it was so high that it was possible for us to take it together only as a team. JEE made us work hard. Something I had done in bits and pieces for the first 15 years of my existence, I did it at one go in my 16th. Everything was an excuse to study. Jaundice meant two weeks of holidays, so study! Shivratri meant one night of staying up, and so study! Every single holiday, and day when school was bunked, added so much value to one's study life.

In came the FIITJEE AITS. The best judge of one's position in nation-wide JEE preparation. It got tougher with every outing, competition rising, and our necks were deep in water. The preparation was not as we would have liked, but we still had confidence, we could make it somehow, maybe with a bit of a slog, but somehow it would have to be done. Another trait that preparing for JEE instilled in us. We got study-holidays to cram for our boards, but no one really cared. JEE preparation happened in full swing, until the day that mattered. Finally, the exam was written, just like any other AITS test. The exam day was just like any other test day. But what preparing for JEE instilled into us, went far beyond just JEE, and I'm sure anyone who prepared for JEE, IITian or not, would vouch for that. I ended up with AIR-694, something below my expectations, but not something I regret today, because the JEE meant much more than a rank.

The demise of the exam is something to be mourned for sure, and it is sad, that in the India of increasing pressures, the students are not being let to learn to cope up with the pressure, instead on the pretext of backing away from it, it is being thrown right on top of their heads in a volume which is plain unfathomable. Maybe we would never see the JEE again, but what it gave us, went far beyond just that tag of an IITian.
 

2 comments:

Chronoz said...

Somehow I perceive the story differently than you. Anyway, I wonder if our ranks would have been better had the urgency hit Chennai early as it does so in Amit-land.

Chappli said...

Obviously would have no? Law of nature, the more the fight, the better the result! :-) Its not possible to start earlier and not do better! :D After all, the JEE we all wrote wasn't just the best test for aptitude alone! :D