Monday, December 24, 2012

My 2012

Okay, so I AM writing this review. Which means, I did not die on the 21st of December, and since your reading this, in all probablity, you are alive too! :P

January - This was the start of the year the world was predicted to end in. Saarang was insane, and as usual, heaven could wait. Vishal-Shekar's show was out of the world. Devi Sri Prasad's show was very unprofessional, but I thoroughly enjoyed it, though many friends of mine came out very unsatisfied. As always, January otherwise was very uneventful, except for the Saarang experience.

February -  This year truly was the year of concerts! I attended Yuvan Shankar Raja's concert with my friends Rakesh, Nishaanth, Prabhu Dhev, Hari and co, in February, and what a blast we had! Arguably the best concert I went to this year. I took my first baby step towards the future, I wrote GRE in February, and it went off pretty decently as well. This was also the month I had my first thigh sprain, something that kept happening through out the year.

March - This was the month of fighting my own leg. Vasuki got an admit into every univ she applied to, and also made a mini-trip of California to pick and choose univs. Shailu got into UIUC, while CJR made Purdue, Baby got MIT, Rak got Stan and good news started pouring in. Shre got RPI at around the same time. It was a happy time, one of the periods of my life I wouldn't ever forget. It was so filled with nostalgia as everything drew to a close.

April - This was the period when I started shooting my first talkie short film. It was a long process, I really didn't expect a 7 minute film to take nearly a month and a half to shoot. But I totally fell in love with the process. The editing was a bit of a flop, but there was that obvious satisfaction of having done something I wanted to do for a long long time. It was also the last month in insti with all my friends, there was a lot of Satyam cinemas, and a lot of treats. The best month of the year I guess.

May, June - Two months of a vetti summer. I had to go to insti everyday to sign the DD form, like a prisoner out on parole. This birthday involved cutting a cake in insti for the first time. The gifts I got were unimaginable, right across the spectrum, from sloka CDs to sex books! :D The first real work for the DDP started getting done! There was Ram's anna's wedding which was so much of fun, and also Ganapathi Agraharam's kumbabhishekam, and the opportunity to watch it from right next to the kumbha! Gymming began, and though I don't have much to show for it, it's something I've totally enjoyed!

July - This was when holidays were starting to get boring, and I was also beginning to dread the fact that my friends would be leaving Chennai real soon. I wrote TOEFL, a couple of weeks after an initial failed attempt to complete the test due to some power failure, and after a lot of talking to the central officials at ETS. There was the Shankaracharya of Sringeri who camped near our place, and we made it a point to visit him everyday for the following 3 months. Convocation happened, and at the alumni induction meet that followed, my short film was adjudged second-best! The highlight of the month however was the fact that we made a trip to Thailand. The place was insane, especially their beaches, and the water sports. I went para-gliding for the first time, and man, what an experience it turned out to be. :-)

August - This was insti-reopening time. Old friends started moving to the US, and to jobs in Bangalore, Mumbai and other places. I started hanging out with a new gang of friends including Siddharth, my ex-room neighbour, Bhargava, Sudharshan, NPS and Numaan. It's been real fun with them so far. We sat up chatting till 4 on Prasad's bday, and replicated that at my place on a weekend when my mom was away. Life had suddenly become so much more fun!

September - Hari, Prasad, Nishaanth and I attended a Raja sir concert. There has been this huge wave of Raja sir craze on me this year, and this concert came in at just about the right time for me. I got to touch his hand at the end of the concert, and that made my day! September was also when I started jogging actively. It's been a wonderful thing to do, running first thing in the morning. Though overdoing it a bit has brought me back to the psysio's table!

October, November - The months of placement tests. At some point of time, the whole process can get irritating. The month was pretty dormant, except for these tests and classes, which were anyway few in number. It helped to have a lot of friends around, there was a lot of mutual confidence boosting, something that kept us from worrying during this period.

December - The big month was here. Placements began. Day one got screwed up. I got placed on day 2 though. I must thank Shruthy and Siddharth for their support during the placement process. While the former constantly kept tabs on me and kept taking my mind away from the topic of placements, the latter, usually considered uninvolved in matters, kept walking up to my room every ten minutes to talk about what I should do, and how I shouldn't take matters too seriously. I'm glad they got placed real soon too. It's been fun pretty much after that. It's been a wonderful December, apps completion, lots of eating out, Sivaji 3D FDFS and having fun. Rahman concert awaits, and so does the India-Pakistan match at Chennai (for which I really hope I'll get tickets)! So, lots more fun awaits before 2012 ends! :DI hope it just ends that way, and everyone has a great 2013 as well!

Well, this year's review was short, and I thought I should go back to the age-old format of writing like a kid
. Thanks to everyone who has been instrumental in taking me forward this year! Wish you all a merry Christmas and a happy, great new year! :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun year u had! And ya I am still alive and never believed in the doomsday but never believed it could be misinterpreted to Sachin's retirement either.

srikanth said...

Nice article da :)

Chappli said...

@Shivaram: Yea didn't think of that! :D

@Srikanth: Thanks da! :)

Anonymous said...

nice post :)