Friday, August 13, 2010

Alumni Angst

I was going through the annual report booklet of the school I studied in. My mom was priding to me about its new glossy look, and passed it to me. But reading through it just brought up a feeling of angst in me. The school which once boasted of huge totals, and high selections in IIT-JEE, and other great achievements, can boast of few things apart from the victories in many inter-school culturals of other schools today.

I have been part of the school for 8 long years, a time in which I saw the school building from strength to strength. I used to feel really proud to be a PSite. As many of my friends would vouch, I used to be a PS fanatic, and in many ways, I had an unparalleled passion towards the school. Even today, when I walk into the school, the buildings, the atmosphere stirs up memories, and thoughts, but I realise most of it is just the remains of what once was a strong bonding with the institution.

The 'break-up' began soon after my school days came to a close, with me making comments about how performances could have been better, had the CBSE routine been less stringent. True it was, for record performances in JEE were more or less from those people who spent more than a major part of their senior schooling years working far lesser for school.

Believe it or not, the days of a "genius" cracking JEE with wonderful ranks, by doing "TRS sir problems" between classes is over. For cracking JEE today, one needs huge deals of hardwork, time and the ability to not crack under immense stress. In this situation, talking about an AIR 1, who the school "produced", who never bunked a single class, and was extremely sincere with school work is redundant. In this context, I would admit that though the management was not very helpful, my teachers on a personal level were very relaxing, and gave me the opportunity to take time off when I could, without giving me very strong and painful warnings, and I would like to dedicate a part of my success to my class 11 and 12 teachers. But, from what I heard, the batch after mine, was reprimanded severely for trying to bunk class to study. My question was, why wouldn't the management look at the "Capable" students less severely than reprimand them. If the management knew that the students are capable, then give them a chance. Why jeopardise their lives just because the rules had to be uniform, and you had to look at people with a robot's eyes, and not a human's ones?

The result was not very evident in the immediate junior batch of mine, as the "rebels" did manage to make it into IITM, and I am pretty sure many of them would agree with the point I am making. But, as with the batch after that, they went down the drain unexpectedly. The sad part is, the board results the school was looking far, took a hit as well. The conclusion? Just attending classes does not guarantee a board result. On the contrary in my batch, I put a 474, Shre 475, Rak 480, Prasad 472, now, didn't we have our own share of bunking? The scores I put up are definitely very good ones, and I don't think one needs higher board totals for any reason. Except of course if you want to make it to Anna University. But if that should happen, you might jolly well need to put 495 to get yourself a reserved seat there. If you have the guts to take that path, go ahead, no ones stopping you!

Now, like I claim, is cracking JEE worth all it? Is some junior of mine who had the worth in him and is going all the way to NIT-T missing something by not joining IITM?
The answer is a goddamned YES! As an insider, I talk on behalf of all IITs to say that in spite of the advancement of other colleges in the country, on the risk of losing a few friends and being branded an ego-maniac, I claim with proof that we have the best labs, the best exposure, the best peer groups (YES, in spite of the factories that have invaded the country!!!), the best behaved friend groups (We don't drink and lie around the campus at midnight!) and above all, the best name on the outside (Refute that, and I'll chop your bats off and give them in your hands). So it is bloody worth the fight you put in class 11 and 12, and therefore I seriously wish more PSites make it in the future years. For god's sake, start thinking for the greater good of the students!!!

Everything said, goodbye!!! The lashing of an alumnus...

4 comments:

Chronoz said...

Dei i got 476., not 475 :D And IITs have also got the best gults.

On a serious note, that part about the fact that an institution living in the past was well-put. And a school has to realize that not everyone is a genius.

NPS said...

I agree some what da...I can relate to the school from where i am from I was forced 2 do school activities and keep a clean attendance sheet which was a pain in the ass. Schools can force attendance issues and boards mugging till 10th but in 11th ansd 12th students do deserve some free time and should not be under military discipline on boards mug...And ya it is not worth going 2 NIT on the context of involving more in school/board muggings and other stuff..

Chappli said...

@Shre: I agree, an institution living in the past was well-put. They put Swarun's President Gold Medal as an alumni achievement in the booklet. I don't know how a new entry called alumni achievements cropped up this year!

@NPS: I hate the military enforcement man. Seriously! And when they say stuff like, just coz u want to get into IIT, you can't jeopardise others lives, it gets really irritating! Does it mean they can jeopardise my life???

Bharath H M said...

I switched over to state syllabus after 10th. I have similar experiences. Though, my principal was kind to me :D. I think, at school level, both the students and teachers are heavily motivated, but unfortunately, neither of them are thoughtful enough. That's why we see them getting misguided by their own zeal.