Summer 2011 has been a wonderful experience so far. Bangalore has been even more generous to me than last year, and in many aspects this summer has been more satisfying than the last. Firstly the kind of work I've done. The research at IISc is just mind-blowing. It's an experience of a lifetime, the amount of time the professors spend with you, the discussions, and the knowledge gained in the period are one of its kind. The one on one interaction with the professor and extremely helpful lab-mates takes you up on the intellectual scale as well. I, for one, have been extremely satisfied with this year's internship, and I've learnt and applied quite a bit. Firstly, my project is extremely theoretical, which is exactly the way I like my projects to be. Experimentation is a big no-no. Also, I'm thoroughly enjoying the work atmosphere. I started off on the internship, coming in to the institute at 10 am, and leaving it by 4 pm, because I generally can't put in more than 5 hours of work (discount one hour for lunch). But now, I come in at 9 am, and don't leave before 6.30 pm, and that's saying a lot. Awesome net connection at insane speeds, nice lab-mates to chat with when we get bored, tea shops around, and interesting work, what more could I possibly ask for?
Another thing about the internship has been travel. I generally like spending a part of my day alone, chewing over my actions, thoughts and I usually spend this time trying to gain some new rejuvenation. I get that time in ample quantity this summer, thanks to the travel part of my internship. Being put up with my uncle in Banashankari, I need to travel to IISc, which is just past Malleswaram, and that means catching a bus to Majestic, an half an hour to 45 minute ride on that, and catching a bus from Majestic to the work spot, which is another 15 minute ride. From Malleswaram, I need to walk right into the institute, across a subway, and to the ECE department, and that walk takes 20 minutes. This procedure is followed to and fro. So, it's quite some amount of time to think over my actions for the day, sometimes over an algorithm that refuses to give you desired results, sometimes over a chat gone wrong, sometimes just listen to and soak in the songs on my playlist oblivious to the happenings in the world around me!
Food is another aspect of Bangalore which can never be discounted. The dosas here are fat, but still manage to be good thanks to the red chutney on them, and at times, the masala within, and of course the insane quantities of butter on them. Adigas is fun, though I'm not exactly sure the same thing can be said about places like CTR and the rest. But, when it comes to western food, it just beats the shit out of every other place. Taco Bells, man, what a joint! The tacos are awesome, the quasedillas are awesome, the Burritos are awesome, the unlimited coke refill is super-awesome! :D It is a brilliant place, and I've already been there 6 times these vacations. So, are the infinite McD's in and around Bangalore. I've seen so much of McD here, that I might refuse to walk to the McD counter at Ascendas in all my lifetime.
Also, before I came to Bangalore this summer, one thing that majorly worried me was that I'll miss friends. Almost all friends, barring one or two were abroad for the summer, and that meant a lonely summer, but it wasn't to be! I made quite a lot of friends over the summer, and strengthened friendships with some others. There is this person who I'd attended a few classes with already, but travel and lunch together brought us even closer. Another person, on whom I'd maybe created a negative impression before summer became a very good friend over summer, discussing and fighting out every topic from Indian cricket, to cinema, to internships, to MATLAB, to what not! Another person, a new friend, who I found irritating initially,later became a very good friend, and I felt kind of bad when the person had to leave on the completion of internship. There was this friend of mine from my own department, who I'd known pretty well earlier, and this aided in getting us closer too. There is this another friend, from another IIT, who is extremely logical and reminds me of other old friends of mine.Apart from all this, there are the usual friends on the net. There is this friend who I mailed almost everyday through May. The usual friends kept pinging everyday. There was this specific friend who I'd known majorly through chat and FB only, and some common interests, about whom I got to know some stuff. My respect and friendship for the person increased by leaps and bounds post that! Well, the summer has been productive quite a bit, I've enjoyed it thoroughly. I've also seen a lot of KTV 8 pm movies this summer, a total new for me! :D So, it's been fun, and I hope the last month is that way too! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment