It has always been an intriguing question to me, why do we have a valentine's day?
Shreyas and I have done loads of valentine's bashing in the past, but this question as always remains a mystery to us.
And back it is, this Saturday, when the whole city is going to be gaga over the phenomenon of valentine's day!!
Ask me and I'll tell you that this is the most crappiest bullshit humans have ever come up with. First they started
isolating the mother with the mother's day. If the mother is isolated, can the father be far behind? People came up
with father's day.Then, women as a whole started being isolated, with the INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY. Gender indifference,
my friends! Then, people thought, the union of the sets of all fathers and mothers is the set of all adults, which in effect
implies children, which is the complement of this set, is an isolated lot too. Morever, Pandit Nehru's birthday was a free
slot, with no national holiday manning it, and so we had children's day. This got teacher's perked up,if you isolate the kids,
then isolate us too. Dr.Radhakrishnan's bday slot was a free slot as well, so in came teachers day. Teachers were happy, students
were happy too as teachers had been isolated. All's well that ends well.
But here came the turning point. One Mr. St. Valentine, had preached universal love, read UNIVERSAL love, meaning mutual harmony
among all human beings. Lovers, who were searching for a reason to pocket a poor man's purse, went up the pages of history,
opposite to chronological order. Love 'epics' were of no use, considering the following. The story of Romeo, the guy who killed
himself thinking his lover had committed suicide, followed by Juliet who committed suicide because Romeo committed suicide thinking
she committed suicide (phew!!), was a 'tragedy'!! The story of Shah Jahan, who built a marvellous grave for his wife Mumtaz (stop, you
perverts!!) who died giving birth to their 14th child, was a tragedyy!! The story of Devdas, who 'enjoyed' his life drinking to glory
with a prostitute, truly in love with him (contradiction), all this because his lover married someone else was a tragedy!! All love
'epics' were tragedies!! Off to sometime in history, and the world was preaching violence in its anneals of history. From Mughals,
to the Czars, from the Greek to the Germans, there was violence across the world. Then, looking carefully, sometime after Christ,
a saint by name Valentine, was preaching universal love. Wait, what was he preaching? UNIVERSAL love?? Nope, universal LOVE!!!
Ha, there came the connection. The poor man was born on Feb 14th if I'm not wrong, and people had enough reason to celebrate on that
day.
The fourteenth of February is an unjust reason to pick a poor lover's pocket every year, to kiss in public and get away with it,
to do all sorts of nonsense like cuddling while crossing the road, and then giving explanations for it like I'm in love. All bullshit.
First of all, love needn't be celebrated on a single day. If you've decided to celebrate it, celebrate it through out the year and I'll
tell you how boring it will get.
I personally am of the thought that love is not something that is reserved for a day, and it is quite plainly an insult to celebrate it
once a year. To top it all, it is the nuisance caused by the people celebrating it which is more of a pain. You have obscenity almost
everywhere you go and it is almost impossible to move about without it leaving a bad taste in the mouth. What is more intriguing is the
celebration of a rose day a few days before the valentine's day. The colour of the rose given to a particular person, conveys a particular
message about what is being intended to convey. Morever the kind of messages I've been recieving the last few days has also been of a very
similar kind. I've got messages like, what do I mean to you? a) friend, b)enemy, c)dear, d) darling, e) chellam and stuff like that. If I
send you a d or an e, I'm pretty sure your not going to take it in good taste, then why even send the message. I call it, ENNA KODUMA
SARAVANAN.
Finally, its a request, please do not be a nuisance to the public when you 'celebrate' valentine's day. Have fun.
Bye, Ill be back,
Vignesh/Chappli..
3 comments:
I LOVE this post. No, seriously.
:)
Trust me, I enjoyed making it too.. :)
Typically you!
Post a Comment