Thursday, December 18, 2008

To the end..

This has been one of the most eventful years in my life. New highs, and lows, unexpected and expected, shots of sugar, with a coating of bittergourd has been the way the year so far has progressed for me. I have been left quite happy on an overall picture of how the year has progressed, though it does strike me it could have been slightly better than how it eventually turned out to. But then, the world of brooding does not exist, it is only the world of practicality where every negative is diminished and every positive doubled, that leads us to any kind of prosperity in this world. So, I thought I'll list some of the best and worst memories of this year...

1. The memories of the FIITJEE tests, the breaks when all of us friends used to chill out. It was the days of maximum entertainment. I loved those days of fighting for answers, the days when the Lastbenchers were built, the pics I took on the last day, the grades and percentiles we kept getting. All those small small things which made us, a group of students become a close, soldered unit of tru, life-giving friends.

2.The farewell at P.S. That was one of the days of my life. The nostalgic thought of leaving school, speaking about leaving school, and quoting from Palanquin Bearers. The award Vikku and I recieved, and then my offer for becoming friends, which he accepted for the heck of it.

3.The days of March. The days when we were supposed to slog it out for the boards, but we didn't actually do it. The preparation for JEE, doing the various various model papers. That was a slogger experience. Loads of tension to go with it. The regular visiting of the Anjaneya temple, and getting some kind of rapport with the roads of Alwarpet, Mandaveli  and Mylapore, something that will remain with me for the rest of my life. 

4.The messages and friendships forged at night. GL, J and Shre were three people who used to give me company almost every night invariably, past 11,12.. Constant messages and at times, chats on the phone, used to keep us on our toes. Once, J and I went on for 4 hours on the phone, with two days to spare for the chemistry exam. Shre and my friendship was forged on the phone, almost completely, and see how far it has gone.

5. The post JEE fun. The movie and dhaba double, followed immediately by a trip to Chandigarh and rest of Punjab. That was the experience of a lifetime. The people there, the food, whoa!! Beat their dhabas!! Morever, it was a trip after a huge deal of time, and so I did enjoy it immensely.

6. IMOTC. It was my last IMOT camp. This time being one of the super seniors, the juniors looked up to me like a guide for help and that completed my experience in that camp. I had been the experience seeking junior, then the senior with a hang of how things were, and then the exalted super senior status. To add to it, my friend of three years, Soumyashant Nayak was there for company. I made good friends with Manyu, Pradeep, Bonnie, CSK etc etc... Coming 7th there did hurt a bit, but in front of the experience gained, it was such a small thing. It was during this experience I also met achievers and a lot of future friends like Vasuki.
 
7. The bangalore trip. This year's bangalore trip was one where I met a lot of my AOPS friends. Morever I got to meet up with a lot of my cousins there. It was a fun trip, with a little cousin, lots of older ones, uncles, aunts, grandma, and friends. 

8. The last few days with friends. Kaushik's 16 yard pitch takes the cake here. The place where future tennis ball cricketers like Kau and I were born to play, the Lastbenchers, we might have played over a 100 8-over and 10-over matches over there this July. This, coupled with Mafia made our ultimate days. Those were the best days of my life. We rounded up the holidays with a Dark Knight trip, following which everyone else disintegrated out of town. 

9. IITM. The first few months in IITM went smooth with the ragging sessions not posing much of a problem. But then slowly it all changed, and we actually started becoming part and parcel of institute life. The seniors started looking at us with hopes of living upto standards, and we did exactly that. Shaastra only helped the cause more, and we went of embrace insti life like never before. Insti was definitely the best thing that happened to me this year. IIT was always an ambition, and once I got it, there was nothing limiting my happiness. I wanted to see my friends happy, and so tried to put in  my opinions as much as possible in their decisions, and I guess they made the right decisions too.

10. Meeters: The meeters was essentially a part of two or more mutual friend groups meeting as one, and hence the name. I had already been great friends with everyone except Vasu in the group and hence it earned me a new friend too. It was another fun filled series of meetings again.

11. My sorry to Shrids. I felt and still feel really proud to have done this. Shrids and I have been great friends since class 9, but after class 11, many sources of tension had come in. Both of us knew, our friendship wasn't going where it was heading to initially, and a few days before he left for Goa, I made it a point to apologise for all the mistakes on my side, and to get our friendship back on track. He was gracious enough to accept that, and today we are the friends we were a couple of years ago. This was undoubtedly, my moment of the year.

12. The reunions with KP: After chiding KP for not performing to his potential, it was time to get back to him as a friend,and I did that with the help of Varun and Navneet. Now, if KP is back to being friends with me, it has to go to Varun and Navneet. Thanks, guys!!

13. Cricket: Cricket professionally got back into my life in 2008. I started playing in insti, and apart from opening the batting for the hostel team, I was also in the insti team probables. This was definitely something I always loved doing, and now I am slowly regaining the chances I missed in school life. I also made some awesome friends like Kartik Ram, Dhev, BS and Vamsi in this process. Even on the spectating side, I made a lot of gain this year. Two IPL matches in Chennai I went for, and of course, for the epic test victory with England also I did go.

14.  The LS backlash. I did speak my heart and anguish out after my JEE results, and this resulted in a heartbreak for my school's principal. I did feel sorry about my comments against the school, but what I did say, I still maintain, does hold weightage against the system. Atleast later, the school forgave me, and all are as nice as they were when I was a student under them.

15.  The CGPA fiasco. At the fag end of the year, came the cgpa fiasco, where I managed a 8.74. It was hard, as I was handed over A(9)'s in three courses I had rocked. That I thought was too harsh, but there was no stopping the institute in letting the bulldozer on me. The only consolation was an S(10) in chemistry, but it did leave me with better hopes for next time.

That was almost my year. Mixed feelings, some good, some bad, some ugly, but all mine. This was undoubtedly the more eventful year of my life!! 

No comments: