Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Welcome 2k9.. Year end edition..

It's been a year of surprises. A long year, lots of fun, loads of disappointments, some achievements, some new lows, but then 2008 has been a very eventful year for me. Very, very eventful indeed. Beginning with a FIITJEE open test topping in maths, and ending with a sister becoming mother, I've had a joy ride this year, with the maxima being getting into IITM. My parents, Heru, relatives, friends, especially the LastBenchers, my new friends at IITM, KKA sir and my dearest students, have made my year extra memorable. However good or bad life might have been this year, its not of much concern to me because I've now got a whole set of people to stand by me at every juncture of my life.

There have been moments when I have really felt miserable this year, but there have been people to stand by me, talk me out of all my miseries, and I'll be ever indebted to you people for all that.

There is a story in the Srimad Bhagavatham which goes hence. Arjuna and Krishna were Nara and Narayana, two sages of great virtues in some old birth of theirs. In this birth, after Nara passes away, he comes to lord Vishnu and asks, "We were great friends as Nara and Narayana. But as I saw into the sands of time, during my happy days, I see two footprints, and during my sad ones, I see just one. I would like to know why you left me forsaken during my hardships and were there just to celebrate my happiness with me?"

At this juncture, lord Vishnu replies, "You fool, I was always with you. The footprints in the sand you see during your hardships are mine. I was there with you, and when you had hardships it was I who lifted you on my shoulders and sailed you across the sea of life." This reply leaves Nara stunned and astonished. Stunning indeed, but I can vouch for the fact that I have a group of people who will carry me, literally, through any hardship of mine, and make my life better every passing day.

So, I take this opportunity to thank all you people, in Chennai, in IITM, in other places of the world, like Roorkee, Goa, Pilani, PSU, and everywhere else for making my life so memorable..

As for new year resolutions, I don't believe in them, and so am not making any. All I believe in is to try to be a better human being with every passing day. That is difficult, alright, but if it is made to work, nothing like it.

So here goes. wishing all of you a very happy new year 2k9, and loads of success, and buckets of happiness.

Ever yours,
Without wax,
GV/Chappli...

No comments: